When Paula and I were talking about what 2026 was going to look like for our family I mentioned I was interested in entering some running races. My running has been very consistent since March 2025 due to running over lunchtime with colleagues (making up the hours at night when Anja is in bed), giving me a solid aerobic base to work from. The consistency is different than how I've trained for races in the past - it was usually a sort of 3-4 month effort culminating in a race, then nothing until the next time. Over the last year or so I've felt consistently race-ready, at least for my modest fitness.
So of course, Paula suggests 1 race per month and ups the ante immediately!
We decide to do it. It takes two.
Race 1 (Jan) - Detroit Auto Show 5K
Paula, Dad Manni, and I schlep down to Detroit, leaving Anja with Mom Manni in Canton. My goal is to get close to or under 22 minutes. It's been since 2020 that I've attempted an all-out effort in the 5K and this is the year I believe I can do it. The weather is cold, blowy, and snowy and the course pavement has not been fully plowed. But I gutted it out and did 22:16.33! This is a race in January and the field reflects it - I place 1st in my age group and am feeling good that I'll get under 22 minutes this year.
Race 2 (Feb) - Zeeland Couple Shuffle 5K
Paula, Anja, and I head to Helder Park on the coldest February morning of the year (-15F). We are BUNDLED and the finish line snacks are FROZEN - waters are ice and tangerines are icegerines. The course is not cleared and I immediately note this will not be a PB. We take off and I'm in the front of the race. I look back to let people pass me on the single track made by people's footprints from walking in the foot-deep snow. No one is interested. So, I quickly but gingerly run along this path, not breaking my ankles, until the path opens up and is paved for the second half of the course. No one passes me. No one is close. I hold on and continue to not break my ankles and win the dang race in 23:50! I have no business winning races. But again, the field on a frigid February Sunday morning is small.
Race 3 (Mar) - 5K Green Run - Riverbend Park
Anja and I are in Florida visiting my parents, so Dad takes me down to Jupiter leaving Anja with Mom back at Nettles Island. It's a solid hour drive down so an early morning to get there for the 7:30am start. I'm a little nervous but think under 22 is on the table. I've started to come down with a cough, but my lungs feel pretty solid. Definitely up in the air but I decide to go for it. My mile splits are 6:57, 7:00, 7:00, and 6:20 for the last 0.1K. An older guy - ultra runner - pulls me through the whole race. I just spend time chasing him, hang on, and pass him just before the end (with his blessing). And in turn, I'm passed by the guy who had apparently been chasing/stalking me - but he's in my age group and edges me by 0.99 seconds! Either way I'm stoked to get second in the age group and finally get under 22 minutes (21:42.61)!!!!!
Race 4 (Apr) - Barry Roubaix 36 mile Thriller
The dirty gravel bike race! And I didn't really train on bikes other than doing some mountain biking during spring break in Bentonville. So, understand that my butt was HURTING by the end of it. I was standing up during every downhill. This race was fun! I went down to Hastings with Jonathan and Eric, and we had a nice morning. It was wet enough to keep the sand firm but not too wet to make the roads treacherous. BRX26 also answered the question: how well does running fitness convert to cycling? Not very well. My lungs weren't super challenged but the power from my legs was lacking. Good to learn. It was a solid effort but very middle of the pack result (2:34:29). Very happy with that for my first cycling race.
Race 5 (May) - Tulip Time 10K
Trying to build on a fun 10K last year with my brother in Kalamazoo my goal was to pace under 7:30/mi. It was a chilly morning - in the 30s F. So actually, pretty perfect for a race. Nothing fancy, just nailed each 3.1mi lap at 7:19/mi and had a nice race (45:22.72). Just off the podium but felt good the whole race. It was a nice test to see where I was at. Podium is definitely within reach.
Race 6a & 6b (Jun) - Grand Explorers 5K and Zeeland Zoom 5K
Ran each of these with our friends and their kids. We each ran with a kid - I was lucky to chaperone A to victory! In the GE5K we took third in the podium for the girls U14 and in the ZZ5K we took first in the podium for the girls U9! Super fun and really well-run races to enjoy at a more comfortable pace. Especially fun to see a young runner smoke the races out of the park!
Race 7 (Jul) - the Cross Country Team Challenge 5K - Richmond Park
Before: running a coed team race tonight! Some racers on our team are already down for the count (Kuba is SICK) and it's going to be warm. Excited. Hopefully my day of loose stool yesterday won't harm my attempt to PB.
After: it was a tough one with a strong field. I hadn't run on grass before and the hill was BIG. So didn't get the PR but ran a decent 22:22.6 (pace 7:12/mi). Very fun to run with our group. Andrew and I set out together, but he outpaced me pretty quickly. I caught back up a bit over the hill. No impacts felt from the "day of loose stool". I will need to build in some speed work and hills if I want to get back under 22 minutes. No big deal.
Race 8 (Aug) - TBD
We're having a baby, so we'll see what actually happens.
Race 9 (Sep) - TBD
Race 10 (Oct) - TBD
Race 11 (Nov) - TBD
Race 12 (Dec) - TBD
Racing season thoughts:
Looking to make some changes for 2027. I don't feel the need to do a race each month but do want to pick some fun ones and do a little more structured preparation for them.
1. Winter 5K, Jan-Mar: 1 race for the chance to run hard without doing too much prep. Enjoy the light field coming out of winter.
2. Barry Roubaix bike race, Apr: spend some time in the winter building power in my legs and trying to match my cardio capabilities with my legs and see if I can move up from the middle of the pack with some more time in the seat and using the new power meter on the trainer in my shop.
3. Tulip Time or other May 5K: build some speed in while it's still cool and nice weather to run.
4. Summer months, Jun-Aug: run races with kids or just for fun if they come up. Don't worry about speed.
5. Oct race (5K, 10K, or half marathon): start building some speed as the weather cools and run hard in October. Preference toward half marathon.
6. Turkey Trot, Nov: most likely Zeeland. Do some intervals and hills to prepare.
7. Enjoy the winter training block.
No comments:
Post a Comment