Thursday, April 23, 2015

Thomas the agnostic disciple

The Incredulity of Saint Thomas (Caravaggio)
 Agnosticism, in fact, is not a creed, but a method, the essence of which lies in the rigorous application of a single principle ... Positively the principle may be expressed: In matters of the intellect, follow your reason as far as it will take you, without regard to any other consideration. And negatively: In matters of the intellect do not pretend that conclusions are certain which are not demonstrated or demonstrable.
// Thomas Henry Huxley
 The apostle Thomas is an agnostic from his first response to the news that Jesus had risen:
The other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!” But he replied, “Unless I see the wounds from the nails in his hands, and put my finger into the wounds from the nails, and put my hand into his side, I will never believe it!”
// John 20:25
It's not an uncommon response.  In fact, it has been my response at one time (and time again...).  Many of the people that I met in graduate school had this mindset, rather unsurprisingly.  It is essentially the practice of science.  Without evidence, there can be no worthwhile claims.

One of my best friends at PSU called himself an agnostic-atheist.  He does not believe there is a god, but perhaps would given enough evidence.  In practice, he is an atheist--I find it difficult to conceive of an event or circumstance that would validate his belief in God, though I of course cannot rule it out (nor would I want to).  He has a valid view; it's not one that I hold personally for a number of reasons, but it's nevertheless valid.

We can learn a lot from Thomas--for instance, how to respond to unbelief.  The disciples didn't convince him...Jesus did, with his appearance.  Perhaps this is why we see Christian apologetics fail to "convince" atheists, agnostics, etc.--because we are placing the burden on our reasoning and logic (often from premises that one party DOES NOT ACCEPT!).  Letting the Spirit work through us, as Jesus worked in Thomas is a much more fruitful exercise.  I pray often that God will work in spite of the words from my asinine lips.

Show me the parts of scripture where the disciples browbeat someone into belief before you go about evangelism that way.  Do life following Jesus; do it unapologetically (different meaning of the word, haha!); and do it unafraid to talk about inconsistencies and things you don't yet understand--God will show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment