Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Modern book of psalms?

Psalm,תהילים , is the word for praise in Hebrew.  The psalms in the Bible draw from a wide variety of themes, from lament to hymn to thanksgiving--human conditions.

The writers make their case before God, cry out and offer praise from circumstances both favorable and wretched.

The list of songs that follow are some of my own laments and praises.  They all mean something to me in one way or another, and remind me of very particular periods in my life--either of struggle or peace.  There are only three in the list that are considered "Christian music" in any real way--however all are thoughtfully written.

Seven Swans by Sufjan Stevens [lyrics]
   This album by Stevens could easily be a Psalm 119 type of chapter.  As I listen I hear wondering about how we fit into God's kingdom now and to come--what does the life in us mean?  And how are we to celebrate that?  Sacrifice perhaps--the Way has come.
Everything rises, going at it all
All the surprises in a size too small
And what if I told you
I was still in love with this?
Would you surprise us
In a size for all of me?
[from "Size Too Small"]

Be Thou My Vision, ancient hymn from Ireland [lyrics]
   Hymns make a pretty obvious choice of inclusion for a list like this.  BTMV has been a favorite of mine for many years.  It is comforting to sing of a God that is everything we need, especially in the face of our own failures, confusion and loss.
   When you sing the last verse in a church with hundreds of people around you, it's hard for your heart not to sing and swell.
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art;
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

The Jazz (We've Got) by a Tribe Called Quest [lyrics]
   This track has a very communal feel to it.  Phife and Q-tip pay homage to their followers, fans and fellow musicians.  They celebrate the universal appeal of the music and peace/unity, in contrast to groups like N.W.A. at the time:
Do it for the strong, we do it for the meek
Boom it in your boom it in your boom it in your Jeep
Or your Honda or your Beemer or your Legend or your Benz
The rave of the town to your foes and your friends

The tranquility will make you unball your fist
For we put Hip Hop on a brand new twist

Messiah by George Frideric Handel [lyrics]
   The Messiah actually draws from the Psalms among other passages in the Bible.  It is a jaw dropping work of art.  I have had the pleasure of hearing it in it's entirety in concert, and likely several times over in my father's tan Acclaim as a child.
   Standing and singing during the chorus is like nothing else.  It can be heard, but should really be experienced.
Thus saith the Lord, the Lord of Hosts:
Yet once a little while and I will shake the heavens and the earth,
the sea and the dry land.
And I will shake all nations; and the desire of all nations shall come.
(Haggai 2:6-7)

Place to Be by Nick Drake [lyrics]
   My friend Justin put this song on a mixtape to the high school seniors in 2007; I still listen to it periodically.  Of course now I have the album, but this song alone still reminds me of the process of coming of "age".  And that it really doesn't stop--or get lighter and easier.  Sometimes it gets really, really dark--stygian.
And I was strong, strong in the sun
I thought I'd see when day is done
Now I'm weaker than the palest blue
Oh so weak in this need for you

Still Fighting It by Ben Folds [lyrics]
   This song is akin to Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle" (which I always thought was written and performed by Cat Stevens, until 5 seconds before I wrote this...).  It speaks to growing up and how no matter the way you do it, growing up isn't easy.  There will be regrets and broken hopes and dreams.  It's deliciously melancholy.  No one wants to see anyone repeat their mistakes, be it their children, or younger siblings.
It was pain
Sunny days and rain
I knew you'd feel the same things

Shall Never Lose It's Power by La Dispute [lyrics]
   La Dispute are very clear that their music does not reflect a belief in God, and that themes of spirituality aren't necessarily intended from a Christocentric perspective.  And that makes it accessible to a lot of people.  LD also point out that art is not isotropic--there are many different ways to experience a piece of art or song, aside from the meaning the writer ascribes to it.
And what's left is a heartbeat, speaking;
"hands off your fate, child, you'll bury yourself in mistakes."
Like a dream that i had of lost faith it fades away but still thunders onward
Every pulse was a hand with its palm up
Fed with bodies and bread soaked in blood
Somewhere, someday, it'll leave but tell me, someone
Where does it go?

I Don't Know by Dredg [lyrics]
   I've actually written about this song previously in 2013.  Dredg write extensively about concepts of faith, losing/lost faith and belief.
   The narrator struggles with the purpose of life, and of not knowing...anything about the nature of reality and the past.  This is essentially my anthem most days.  At the end of the song, the conclusion is: "So I'll just go on living my way".  I wish I could resolve this dissonance logically, but I can't, and no one can.  And that's where faith comes in, and why the struggle is real--if you claim to truly know, you are deluding yourself.  It's ok to be comfortable with doubts--remember Thomas?
Well I don't know what to believe anymore
But every now and then I feel a moment of awakening
But then it's gone, then it's gone, then it's gone
I'm blanketed by the warmth of ignorance

Desert Song by Hillsong UNITED [lyrics]
   DS is of brokeness and need.  It's about bringing praise when everything sucks.  Not because things are better, and not because we think they will be, but because.
All of my life
In every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

Life and Love and Why by Switchfoot [lyrics]
   One of Switchfoot's more early and melancholy songs/albums really resonated with my teenage self, and still does today.  They pose real questions that deserve an answer--could it be true, can life be new?
Take away from me
This monstrosity
'Cause my futile thinking's
Not gonna solve nothing tonight
Ask me for what am I living
Or what gives me strength
That I'm willing to die for

Could it be this
Could this be bliss
Could it be all that
I ever had missed
Could it be true
Can life be new
And can I be used
Can I be used

Love and Some Verses by Iron & Wine [lyrics]
   Is love unconditional?
Love and some verses you hear
Say what you can say
Love to say this in your ear "I'll love you that way"
From your changing contentments
What will you choose for to share?

Suggestions from friends:
Hurt by Johnny Cash
Greetings from Michigan--The Great Lakes State by Sufjan Stevens
Sea Change and Morning Phase by Beck
Adagio for Strings by Barber
Great Are You Lord by All Sons & Daughters

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:25 PM

    Nothing is wrong with worshiping God through "everything that you do." After all, we're commanded to do all through the glory of God!

    -Jason

    ReplyDelete