Friday, June 19, 2009

Cinci update: ramblings

It's raining and thundering and lightninginging right now, which makes me giddy. Adam and Rachel were married tonight despite the weather, and I pray that their road together is long and storied. Those things are wonderful, but my time in Cincinnati is currently at the forefront of my brain.

This was my sixth visit to Cinci in as many years, so I knew what to expect generally, but I couldn't have known what God would accomplish this week. The small group that Justin assigned me to was the 8th grade/Freshmen guys, with him and Cam. The guys didn't really know each other that well, with a few exceptions, and I didn't know them either. Throughout the course of the week, were were able to have some good discussions. This was especially surprising, since not only were the other guys unfamiliar, but these were guys either entering or just finishing their first year of high school. I know when I was that age, conversation and sharing were not high on my list of things to do. I'm not sure that would have happened without the power of God.

This trip was bittersweet. Justin will be leaving for Pasadena (Fuller Sem.) in August. It was likely his last trip with us to Cinci. I know that he is going on to bigger and better things, but I'm going to miss him a lot. He and Dawn have been with us for five years now, and he's become a powerful example to me. I'll probably write more about Justin in later months.

During the course of the week, and painting and such things, I was able to hang out with Wiechel quite extensively. We made some very inappropriate jokes, and had a good time putting some paint on walls. Prematurely of course. "I'm a hip-hoppapotamus and my lyrics are bottomless." "Did Steve tell you that? Steeeeeve!"

Though I didn't work with the kids this week, I was able to see Bruce and Jonathon. Bruce didn't talk much when I sat by him, but it was good seeing him and the other kids that I got to know last year. I don't know if we can ever know the impact we will have, but I am confident that the seeds we plant are nurtured and God will do good things with these kids.

It just doesn't seem like the right time to blog about this, but I will risk sounding silly. I might update this with a more concise and cohesive report later. Right now I just want to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment