Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Inspired boredom

I have a sinus infection.

I spent today in my room nearly exclusively.

Two rather unfortunate statements.

In order to assuage my boredom and ennui, I took to re-imagining the banality of my room using my camera and some natural light--high and low.

Taken 12/29/14 at 12:09PM EST
F-stop: f/4
Exposure time: 1/1250 seconds
ISO: 6400
Auto white balance, auto ISO
with Nikon D7000 body and Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens
I love to experiment with depth of field. This is just a tuner and capo on my mousepad. I kept the aperture stopped down somewhat to shrink the field of view and had plenty of light, so I could get away with a higher shutter speed and high ISO.

Taken 12/29/14 at 12:14PM EST
F-stop: f/4.5
Exposure time: 1/2500 seconds
ISO: 3600
Auto white balance, auto ISO
with Nikon D7000 body and Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens
Over time some bubbles formed on the inside of my glass of water--a thin enough layer that even the curvature of the glass renders some of them out of focus at f/4.5. I had plenty of light to work with here as well.
 
Taken 12/29/14 at 3:18PM EST
F-stop: f/4.5
Exposure time: 1/250 seconds
ISO: 6400
Auto white balance, auto ISO
with Nikon D7000 body and Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens
Here I put three objects in order (the second is pretty dusty), and used approximately the same depth of field as the previous two images. My desk was getting boring, so...to a bookshelf for this one. The painting is from a local Ludington painter. My Grandpa and Grandma Split had it in their home.

Taken 12/29/14 at 6:43PM EST
F-stop: f/1.8
Exposure time: 1/80 seconds
ISO: 6400
Auto white balance, auto ISO
with Nikon D7000 body and Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens
I stopped down to f/1.8 for this one on account of low light. The vantage point is from my desk into my neighbor's backyard. There is a little bit of orange light from across the street that gets blurred through the screen. Of the series of shutter speeds and apertures I took, this most accurately described the mood of my room at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment