Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Janelle Monáe

I'm on a huge Janelle Monáe kick right now (even if she's not for male consumption ^o^...she is universally appealing and her message applies to everyone!).

She's talented, beautiful, thought-FULL and thought-PROVOKING!  Her fashion is clean cut and straight dirty--classic and refined.  I mean, c'mon, does she not have the best hair you've ever seen?  Hot damn.

You may be familiar with her work in collaboration with Fun.--she sings in "We Are Young."



But she is a prolific solo artist.  Some of my favorites lately are: Q.U.E.E.N. and Yoga.


Q.U.E.E.N. is brilliant and has a beat to die for.  This track is smart lyrically and actually has a message.  How odd.
And is it true we're all insane?
And I just tell 'em, "No we ain't" and get down
I heard this life is just a play with no rehearsal
I wonder will this be my final act tonight

Are we a lost generation of our people?
Add us to equations but they'll never make us equal
She who writes the movie owns the script and the sequel
So why ain't the stealing of my rights made illegal?
They keep us underground working hard for the greedy
But when it's time pay they turn around and call us needy
My crown too heavy like the Queen Nefertiti
Gimme back my pyramid, I'm trying to free Kansas City


How does Yoga do for a sexy hook?  Uh, really?  Yeah.

And...it's also an anthem for equal gender standards!
Crown on my head but the world on my shoulder
I'm too much a rebel, never do what I’m supposed ta
Bend it never break it, baby watch and I’ma show ya
Stretching on my cash, got my money doing yoga

Sometimes I'm peachy, and sometimes I'm vulgar
Even when I’m sleeping I got one eye open
You cannot police me, so get off my areola
Get off my areola
If you haven't heard of her, you're welcome.  If you had, you're welcome.  It took months of my friends Vince and Jade posting about a Janelle lady before I finally checked her out.  That's on me.  But here we are.  Let your booty do that yoga!

No comments:

Post a Comment