Thursday, March 05, 2015

Hand. Cannot. Erase. album mini-review

I consume the music that Steven Wilson produces like it's my job--as if I were actually paid in the legal tender of these United States to do such a lovely thing.  So naturally I pre-ordered his new album: "Hand. Cannot. Erase."  It came in the mail yesterday.

Steven Wilson is the force behind bands such as Porcupine Tree and Blackfield.  He is a progressive rock legend.  I've been fortunate to see him with Porcupine Tree in Detroit during high school, but that was now almost 10 years ago (you haven't truly listened to Anesthetize until you've been there in person to watch codeine pills spin for 10 minutes with Wilson doing weird finger-puppetry things.  This is truth.).

Wilson's albums have both musical and lyrical depth.  He weaves layer upon layer, melody upon melody upon harmony--then he drives it at you in a truck.  This album again deals with ideas of expanding technology, how we engage with it, and how it is transforming humans socially.

It reminds me loosely of Porcupine Tree's album Fear of a Blank Planet, though that album focused more on the consequences of youth growing up sodden and besotted with information--losing curiosity.

My favorite track currently is "3 Years Older":
It's about life slowly slipping away, because you can let it.  But real life takes engagement and effort.  I think Wilson is saying it takes investment, and perhaps a healthy disengagement from the Internet and social media, back to when people shared with each other and spent time with each other.  It's easy to let a fake cyber world slip away, but a real human experience means more pain, more joy--feelings that are harder to run from, more raw.
Life is not some sinecure for you to claim
You have to pay
Beautiful, spectral, haunting, driven, meaningful, evocative, layered--this album is magnificent and I couldn't ask for more from a musical or lyrical standpoint.  SW is an artist and a genius.  I accept my status as fanboy.

Here is a clip of Wilson describing the inspiration behind the album:
In short, this album makes me want to buy a record player, so I can purchase the vinyl version of this record.  As an aside, here is great interview with Wilson talking about the album, 96/24 musical resolution and why progressive shouldn't be shortened to 'prog'. :)

Finally, here is a playlist of the album on YT.  I recommend listening all the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment