Tuesday, June 07, 2011

My Kindle 3 Review (Wifi and 3G)

I have had my Kindle for two weeks now and decided to comment on the process that resulted in its purchase.

I was deciding between the Kindle and iPod Touch. Both have internet and book capabilities and each shines in a particular area. As I am not properly acquainted with the Touch, I will only comment on the capabilities and features of the Kindle.

Reading on the Kindle has been very easy, and the formatting is quite nice. This is the main strength of the device and I have no cause for complaint there. Locating and buying books is also quite easy and can be completed in a matter of seconds.

What was of more concern to me as I was researching devices was the online capability of Kindle. I have since found that it handles the mobile versions of sites such as Facebook, Gmail and blogs quite well. I had hoped the device would be well suited for checking email and possibly answering in short replies. It has certainly met that, considering that I am typing this entry from the Kindle. I bought the 3G model and have had occasion to use it to find directions to a wedding, outside of wifi access. It is certainly slower that way but very functional.

The Kindle does not have all of the multimedia capabilities that the Touch may have but it proves itself as a very capable reading device with ancillary internet browsing ability.

This was not intended to be a thorough review, merely to say that the Kindle can do most of what the Touch can and some things better as long as it is remembered that it is primarily an Ereader.

Edit: 1/8/13
I've had the Kindle for almost two years now and I still love it. I've been reading it a lot lately and find it a fantastic device. The Kindle store has been receiving many of my hard earned pennies--it's so easy to find good books. Most of the books that I've wanted to read have been on here and those that aren't I can sometimes find elsewhere (paper isn't so bad after all).
Battery life is still great and it's nice to be able to use the internet on those emergency occasions. Other than that though, it's a little clunky, but the browser is "experimental" for a reason.
TL;DR...I like the Kindle3 and would buy it again in a heartbeat (or receive it as a graduation present, more accurately!).

No comments:

Post a Comment