Sunday, May 31, 2009

Mighty to Save [the wretch that I am]

Everyone needs compassion
Love that’s never failing
Let mercy fall on me
Everyone needs forgiveness
The kindness of a Saviour
The hope of nations

We sang this song in Cincinnati last year with a bunch of other high school youth groups who were serving in the area. It was a powerful atmosphere, which gave an emotional high, but I think that can be dangerous sometimes. The words have deep meaning, and when we sing them, we are making some strong statements. The song acknowledges our need, something I have trouble with personally, and I know I'm not alone. The words are from a person who is broken. I don't know if we know how broken we really are. My hope for this year in Cincinnati is that the students (and us leaders) see God moving through the other members of the group, through their brokenness and inadequacies. I hope that our hearts are broken by the things that break God's heart, to take a page out of Justin's book.

No comments:

Post a Comment